How to choose the right facial cosmetic surgeon.
Choosing the right rhinoplasty surgeon is no small task. It’s important to understand that, as with any surgery, there are risks involved. You want to make sure you find a surgeon who has the right training, qualifications, and experience to achieve the results you are looking for.
We recommend choosing a surgeon that meets the criteria below.
- Is on the General Medical Council specialist register.
- Holds a Fellowship with one of the Royal Colleges. For example, be a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons (look for “FRCS” after their name).
- Holds practising privileges with a CQC approved hospital (this includes any NHS hospital and private hospital chains (for example, BMI, Spire, Ramsay, and some other independent hospitals).
Only choose surgeons who meet all 4 criteria mentioned above. After shortlisting the surgeon, visit their website to get a feel for their practice and get additional information.
When choosing your surgeon, you should also consider whether or not they are accredited for facial cosmetic surgery by one or more of the following bodies:
- Royal College, and certified for specific cosmetic procedures
- EAFPS – This is the only European association specific to Facial Cosmetic surgery. You can find a list of Members here.
- The British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (BAAPS)
- The British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons (BAPRAS)
In addition to this training and certification, you should ask your surgeon about their experience with cosmetic surgery. Are they comfortable performing this specific type of procedure? Do they have before-and-after photos of past patients who have had similar operations? How many patients have they performed operations on? What kind of results do their patients typically see? What is their revision rate? Are there any hidden costs?
You should also be sure that you feel comfortable with your surgeon. If you don’t feel like they have your best interests at heart, then it might not be the right fit for you.
Finally, the decision to undertake cosmetic surgery should never be rushed. Make sure you are undergoing the surgery at the right time for you with the right surgeon.
If you’re interested in starting the process of cosmetic surgery, please get in touch with our patient care team today via the website, and we will be able to take care of any questions you may have.