Before your consultation
Find out if the surgeon:
1. Is on the GMC specialist register. To find out, search here.
2. Holds Fellowship with one of the Royal Colleges. For example, be a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons (look for “FRCS” after their name)
3. Holds practicing privileges with CQC approved hospital (this includes any NHS hospital and private hospital chains (for example, BMI, Spire, Ramsay, and some other independent hospitals)
4. Is accredited for facial cosmetic surgery by one or more of the following bodies:
- Royal College, and certified for specific cosmetic procedures
- EAFPS – This is the only European association specific to Facial Cosmetic surgery. You can find a list of Members here.
- The British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (BAAPS)
- The British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons (BAPRAS)
Only choose surgeons who meet all 4 criteria mentioned above. After shortlisting the surgeon, visit their website to get a feel for their practice and get additional information.
During your consultation
Do not rely on practices where the “patient co-ordinator” takes the lead. Always book a consultation with the surgeon who will do the surgical procedure before making your final decision.
You may feel somewhat uncomfortable doing so, but any reputable surgeon will be pleased to answer the following questions:
- How many of these procedures have you done?
- What qualifications and training do you have?
- Are you a member of a relevant professional association, such as the EAFPS?
- Are you Royal College certified for this specific procedure?
- If not – why not?
- What are the most common complications of the procedure in your hands?
- Can I see unedited before and after pictures of your patients?
- What aftercare can I expect, and who will look after me?
- What should I do if something goes wrong or I’m not happy with the result?
- How much it’ll cost, and will it cost extra to have further treatment if needed?
- Do you have information I can take away with me, such as information leaflets from the manufacturer of the product you’ll use?
TALK TO US
Give us a call on 07590817036 or request a call back using this form:
Call us on: 07590817036
London Clinic98 Harley St, Marylebone, London WIG 7HZ
Birmingham Clinic88 Hagley Road, Birmingham B16 8LU
Northampton ClinicBMI Three Shires Hospital, The Avenue, Northampton NN1 5BT
Take the first step towards a more youthful you
Get a video consultation where you’ll meet expert facial surgeon, Mr Mrinal Supriya, from the comfort of your home and get up to speed on your options
After your consultation
Take time to review the information, including the surgeon’s credentials. Take the time to reflect on your sense of confidence in him or her after your consultation to decide whether you want to go ahead with the procedure.
Things to avoid
Cosmetic surgery is entirely dependent on the skills and experience of your surgeon. Hence, it is crucial that you ensure that the surgeon you choose meets the essential criteria I’ve mentioned above. This is also the reason to prefer a named surgeon over a national chain where it is difficult to check credentials and the experience of a specific surgeon before consultation.
You should avoid choosing the surgeon primarily due to financial discounts or treatment vouchers. Any operation carries risk of complications; hence it is vital that the place of surgery is CQC approved. Please do not choose inadequately staffed centres and definitely rule out mobile services where procedures are performed in places such as private homes or hotels.
Do not pay for a procedure until you have had a consultation to make sure it’s right for you. Cosmetic procedures are rarely urgent. You should always make the decision after adequate deliberation and discussion choosing the surgeon who has the essential credentials, the required experience and impeccable honesty. You should never rush into a procedure.
Good luck with your search
And of course, should you wish to ask any of the questions I have suggested above, I’d be happy to answer them!
Mr Mrinal Supriya | Facial Cosmetic Surgeon
FRCS (OTOL-HNS), MRCS Ed, DO-HNS, MS in ENT, MBBS
About the expert
Mr Mrinal Supriya is a Consultant ENT, Head and Neck Surgeon with a special interest in facial cosmetic surgery. He is the clinical director for head and neck service in Northamptonshire and works as an ENT Consultant. He is the lead head and neck robotic surgeon at the University hospital of Northamptonshire (2023). Previously, he held the post of ENT, Head and Neck consultant at St.George’s University Hospital, London and at Ninewells University Hospital, Dundee.
Mr Supriya has previously worked in top hospitals around the world, including the UK, Australia and USA. He has also spent time with Dr Andrew Jacono who has been named one of the top face lift surgeons in the USA.
Mr Supriya is among the 30 surgeons (2022), who are certified by The Royal College of Surgeon to provide facial cosmetic surgery in UK.